Lewisham Council Homepage Skip navigation

Complaints about schools

How to make a complaint about one of our schools.

All schools in Lewisham want their children to do well and be happy. However, we know there are times when things go wrong, when concerns arise and differences of opinion develop.

These can usually be resolved by speaking to the right person. Most concerns can be settled without too much trouble, but whatever the issue, even where you are seriously concerned about your child's future at the school, it's always important to try to find an answer.

What to do first

Take a few minutes to read this page. Then think the complaint through.

What actually happened?

Remember there is often more than one view about an incident or situation. For example, your child may well be telling the truth but it may not be the whole story.

What do you hope will happen as a result of your complaint?

It might help to talk this through with a friend or relative.

When you make a complaint, remember that although you want to change a situation, you want it to end on a positive note with no bad feelings.

What happens next

When you are clear in your own mind as to what you believe has happened, you then need to speak to someone at the school. Contact the headteacher to arrange a meeting.

It is always best to try to make an appointment where you can sit and talk things through calmly and without interruption. Investigating complaints does take time and the answers aren't always readily available, but you will at least be able to decide whether the action taken (or not taken) was reasonable and whether any further steps taken by the teacher would solve the problem.

If you are still unhappy

The formal complaints procedure ends with the governor meeting. However, if you are still unhappy, then you should contact the Chair of Governors - the school will tell you how. This person may help to resolve the problem informally, possibly by arranging a meeting between those involved. If, after this, you are still not satisfied with the answer, then you should ask to make a formal complaint to the governing body.

Complaints to the governing body

As this is a serious step to take, it is important that you have thought things through carefully and that every possible attempt has been made to solve your concerns by other means.

Normally, a panel of governors will be called to hear your case and all sides will be asked to submit a written statement. You will also be invited to attend any hearing that is held to present your side of the story.

The decision of the governors' panel will then be sent in writing to all parties.

If you are still unhappy

If, after the governors have dealt with your complaints, you are still unhappy with the decision that was taken, you can contact us for advice on what to do next. For example, if you feel that the governing body has acted unreasonably, you can consider complaining to the Secretary of State for Education.

You may also be interested in...


Here you can find out about education opportunities for children, young people and adults.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask us anything